Father's Day.....

Father's day takes on a special significance when you are a single mother.  Coming from a family that had such a strong father figure, it almost feels like you are somewhat of a failure when Father's day comes around...especially when there is a disconnect with the father of your children.  My kids love their dad, but they don't have nearly the strong bond with their father that I did with mine.   There will be days, sometimes more than a week that goes by with no contact between them.  He doesn't seem to know anything about their lives, their likes, or their loves. I look at my daughter and I see sometimes how closed off and cold she has become.  I look at my son and wonder when he'll be more independent, and less clingy..and I wonder, if they had grown up in an intact home, would that be the case? 

We raise our daughters to be strong, fierce, and independent; and our sons to be gentlemen...but do we raise our son's to be fathers?  To be there? To be loyal, trustworthy, compassionate, strong, patient, giving, and true?  I know, that even though my father isn't "perfect", he is the type of man that I want my son to emulate.  He's caring, strong, loyal, truthful, and above all else, he loves his family more than anything in the world.  He would slay dragons for his daughters, and stand his son on his shoulders.  He will always be "Daddy", no matter how old I get.  Even though I don't get to see him nearly as much as I'd like; that bond that I have with him will never be lessened.  The minute I hear his voice, or see his face, I'm instantly transported to that little girl that would leap into his arms, sit beside him on the couch, and dance while standing on his shoes. 

Happy Father's Day Daddy......I'll always be your baby girl.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end result is worth the struggle, or how it feels to be on the verge of an empty nest.

It's more than just a robot-Part 2

Family FIRST, and life changing events...