Friendship....

I spent a weekend under the weather, undoubtedly from spreading myself too thin, and decided to rent some movies to watch during my enforced quarantine.  One of them was "Something Borrowed" with Ginnifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson.  As I sat here with my daughter and watched it, it reminded me of friendships past, and how they affect us.  I think that everyone has had "that friend".  That friend that only calls when they want you to give them advice.  Only contacts you when they have a problem.  Doesn't ever check on you to find out how you're doing, but wants you always to know how they're doing.  Where every story you tell, they have one that is just that much better, or more interesting, or more heart-wrenching.  Those are the friends that drain you...that you always wonder why you're friends with them in the first place.  But something in them keeps you coming back.  Some part of the relationship, exhausting as it is, makes you treasure it. 

Then there are the friends that, no matter how much time or space has passed, once you see them..it's like it was yesterday.  Those friends that don't live close to you anymore, and you don't talk to them every day, heck, every week, but when you do talk or see each other, the time and distance melts away like good chocolate.  You have shared memories and experiences, and are always up for new ones.  I call those your forever friends. 

We toss the word "friend" around pretty freely.  We call our co-workers friends.  People we see at the kid's school, or sporting events, friends.  People we've never met but know virtually, like on Facebook or on message boards, we call friends.  However, when it comes down to it, how many friends do we really have?  Do we  have at least one friend, that no matter what time of day or night is there?  That friend you can HONESTLY call for bail money?  The friend that will come and clean out your house if you die and hide all of the contraband?  The friend that will help you hide the body, or drive the getaway car?  I  think that everyone needs one friend like that.  Someone you can tell all of your secrets to...that will protect them with their last breath. 

I know so many people that don't have a best friend...and some that do.  I count myself pretty lucky.  I have a couple.  My sisters are my best friends.  I love them more than I can ever say, and I know that I can share just about anything with them.  I also have a best friend that I've known for the past 11 years.  Even through we don't see each other or talk to each other every day, I know without a doubt that she loves me.  Her son is my godson, and I love him like I love my own children. 

At the end of the day.....friendship is a treasure that we must hold dear to our hearts....and toxic friendships are those that, however difficult, we need to take a hard look at whether they're worth having in our lives.

Comments

  1. We are all blessed to have you. Looks like I need to watch that movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The end result is worth the struggle, or how it feels to be on the verge of an empty nest.

It's more than just a robot-Part 2

Family FIRST, and life changing events...