Bacon. Really.

Do you ever think about that one food that would just basically ruin your life if you had to give it up?  Yeah.  That's it.  Diet coke...cake...cookies.....giving up those would hardly be a blip on my culinary radar.  Bacon however?  My life would pretty much be over.  I'm talking adrift on a desert island with no hope of rescue over.  I had gastric lap band surgery 4 years ago, and have lost close to 115 lbs.  My body doesn't look like anything I ever remember seeing in my life.  (I can see my collarbones.  I didn't even know I HAD collarbones) I've had to give up so many foods and things that most people take for granted.  I don't drink soda.  I haven't had one since December of 2006.  I rarely eat bread, or pasta, or red meat.  If I eat too fast, it hurts.  Sometimes, as long as I'm hydrated, I'll actually forget to eat.  However, I'll never desert bacon.  I seriously love bacon.  Thick cut, thin cut, ends, pieces, salt pork, pork jowl....pretty much any form of bacon that can be eaten, I'll try it.  Bacon ice cream, bacon popcorn, baconnaise.  (Those last two I actually found at a grocery store...and let me tell you, I believe there are some ladies I know hiding in my bushes waiting for me to walk outside and leave the door unlocked so that they can rob me of my bacon booty) Now, I don't like my bacon mushy, or too well done.  I like it perfectly crisped, with a little bit of fat on the end.  I've learned to fry it, nuke it, broil it, and bake it.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner......you can basically add bacon to anything and make it magic.  So for all of you out there who know just what I'm talking about; go to the refrigerator, take out a few slices, cook those bad boys up, and have a toast to (as I quote Wayne Pennell) "nature's candy"

Comments

  1. *Love* I used to catch flak in college b/c I used bacon as our "meat" for dinner, as in bacon & Kraft, or bacon and french fries. Apparently I was just ahead of my time ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The end result is worth the struggle, or how it feels to be on the verge of an empty nest.

It's more than just a robot-Part 2

Family FIRST, and life changing events...