The single mom's bittersweet revenge....

I was watching the Lifetime (dramatized)Autobiography of Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling and it struck me, that she has the most bittersweet revenge ever of a single mom.  Here is a woman who was on welfare, receiving 69 pounds (not sure what that is in American dollars, but it CAN'T be much) a week from the government.  Now, years later, she sits in the enviable position of being worth more than the Queen of England.  She's remarried, and has another child.  Here is a woman who's ex husband, a deadbeat dad, is kicking his own ass every day for walking out on her.  President Barack Obama is another.  Raised by a single mother, absent father, yet look at what he's become.  In homage to my post yesterday, another success story is Justin Bieber.  Teenage mother, no involvement from his father, and then look at him now. 

What is it with these men who can walk away from their responsibilities without a backward glance?  How can you look at the most precious resource we have, our children, and dismiss them without a second thought?  All of these amazing mothers have raised children that will undoubtedly be proud of them.  All of the men that walked out on these women can count themselves among the biggest idiots of the modern age.  However, it begs the question.  Would the people that came out of these fractured relationships be the people they are today if their parents had stayed together?  That's a tough question.  One that I can't answer.  I know, in my own case, that I would have loved to grow old with the person that I said "till death to us part" with.  That wasn't the case.  Now my children have had to learn to navigate two families instead of just one.  It's made them stronger, and more resilient, but I wouldn't have chosen the path of a broken home to give them that strength.   I hate the fact that they had to learn that fairy tales don't exist, but I'm happy that they know that you can have just as much love, and sometimes more, with one parent in the home instead of two.  I also know that me being a single mother has given them a core of steel that will serve them well in life.  Doing things on my own has shown me that I have an inner strength that I never thought I would have.  I've accomplished things that I didn't think were possible.  I've learned so much about myself, that in my rose colored cottage, I never had the chance to explore.  So, hats off to Rowling, Obama, and Mama Bieber.  Kudos as well to all of the other strong single mothers that I know that do it every, single, day.  You go girls, you go. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end result is worth the struggle, or how it feels to be on the verge of an empty nest.

It's more than just a robot-Part 2

Family FIRST, and life changing events...