If I won the "big one"......

We all dream of "winning it big".  We all fantasize of what we would do with an insane amount of money.  However, could most of us handle the pressures of what comes along with that financial windfall?  Having a mother that is a financial planner, I have carefully planned out my strategy should I win it big.  I think, right now, the big jackpot in our area is close to 150 million dollars.  I'd take the lump sum payment which right there takes about half the money.  But before I did that, I'd go straight to an attorney's office.  I'd show him a photocopy (not the original mind you) of the winning ticket and instruct him to immediately set up a trust for me.  The trust, not me, would claim the money.  That way, when people use the power of the internet to search for the big winner, I won't have people climbing out of the woodwork to say that they were my best friend in 1978, or they're my uncle's cousin's sister's nephew.  I could also keep it safe from unscrupulous people who might take advantge of it.  Then the attorney, representing the trust, would claim the jackpot and everyone would wonder...who the hell was the big winner??? 

Then I'd go straight Robin Hood.  I wouldn't give ANYONE any money outright.  Seriously.  I'd pay off people's debts.  It's not that hard to find out that information, especially today using the power of the almighty internet.  I'd pay off people's mortgages, set up college funds, pay off student loans....all behind the scenes.  That way the people that I help would have a benevolent and hidden financial guardian angel helping them out.  

I'd also set up a foundation to help single mothers.  I don't know how many single moms I've come into contact with over the years that were either blindsided by their former husbands, intimidated into giving in, stay at home moms that were cast adrift and not sure where to turn.....An attorney to give legal advice, a paralegal, someone that would help with job placement, and someone to help with housing.  I'd also keep my town house and buy some additional vacant ones in my neighborhood to use as transitional housing for moms that have been displaced. 

Then I'd make my Mackie room.  Mcallister Price was one of the babies that I watched occasionally at my church.  In 2009, she and her mother, the beautiful and talented Cynthia Furr were killed en route to a church function by drag racing drivers.  It's left a hole in my heart ever since.  Mackie was an amazing child with a smile that lit up the world.  I'd take some of the money, add on the ultimate nursery to the church.  A room for little ones to thrive, to learn, to worship, and to play.  It would be Mackie's Room.  I'd also donate money for WiFi and a wireless communication system so that we in the nursery could hear and see the sermon and be filled with the gospel. 

I'd build a new home for myself and my kids, somewhere that family that can always be welcome.  Somewhere where teenagers want to hang out instead of hanging out somewhere else.  Somewhere that is a safe haven.  Somewhere that is a forever home. 

I'd still work.  I love my job.  I love the things I do.  I'd just work part time instead of full time.  My kids have to go to school after all...but every summer for 2 weeks we'd travel somewhere different in the world.  Somewhere that sounds so amazing and exotic that I'd never be able to afford to go normally.  I want them to experience culture, and see amazing sights and learn that there is a giant world out there to explore.  However, let's not get all hasty and think that I'm going somewhere uncivilized.  If there isn't indoor plumbing?  Not happening.  Seriously.  I don't do outhouses or pee outside.  Nope.  I also don't go places where I could potentially be eaten.  So...cross about half the world off your list. 

I'd donate money to children's charities, the library, and invest in real estate and buy land.  I'd be smart with my money so that my children, and their children, and their children, can hopefully reap the benefits of my good decisions.  I want to be wealthy, not rich.  So with dreams of winning it big filtering through my head....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The end result is worth the struggle, or how it feels to be on the verge of an empty nest.

It's more than just a robot-Part 2

Family FIRST, and life changing events...